Joran advises and litigates in Kennedy Van der Laan’s IP and media practice. He specializes in technology and information matters and is particularly experienced in digital business (platform and retail), the protection and commercialization of technology (R&D) and online copyright. Joran also deals with related regulatory issues and is a member of the data protection litigation team.
Work highlights include litigation on information disclosures in IP proceedings, defending VodafoneZiggo and Facebook against disclosure requests for user information, representing and advising ISP’s in cases on filtering obligations, handling regulatory oversight in relation to rating information, structuring several technological collaborations and internationally enforcing patent and trade rights.
Joran graduated from Utrecht University, where he specialized in IP, media and Tech law at the University of Amsterdam and George Washington University (Munich Program). Joran has a history as software designer and consultant. Experience he now uses in his daily practice as an attorney.
Besides his legal work, Joran still likes to design and code. He is the designer and administrator of our weblog Media Report and is one of the content editors of this site. Further, Joran is a member of the Licensing Executives Society (LES), Dutch Media and Communication Law Association (VMC) and the Dutch Copyright Law Association (VVA). He is fluent in German and member of our German Desk.
- Intellectual Property
- LLM Information law, University of Amsterdam (IvIR), 2010
- LLM European law (commercial legal practice), Utrecht University, 2009
- LLB Private law, Utrecht University, 2008
- Munich Intellectual Property Summer Program 2010, George Washington University, Max Planck Institute, Munich
- Member of the Dutch Copyright Law Association Copyright (VVA)
- Member of the Netherlands Association for Media and Communication Law (VMC)